Updated On: AUGUST 2017
1. SGA maintains an Order of Merit for Men and Women based on their performance tracked over a rolling twelve month period. Both Order of Merit use the R&A World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR) System of calculating points and players will be ranked in accordance with the points accumulated in a calendar year captured over a rolling twelve month period.
2. A Current Ranking Order, based on points accumulated over a rolling three month period, will also be monitored to track current performance of players.
3. In addition to points, stroke average will also be tracked and if points are similar, stroke average will apply.
4. All counting events recognised by the R&A WAGR System will be eligible for the SGA Order of Merit. The counting events include most international events and major local tournaments and do not differentiate between open or junior tournaments. The SGA National Ranking Game is a counting event.
Allocation of Points
5. Points allocated by WAGR to local Ranked Players (local players who are being tracked in the WAGR System) when they participate in counting events will be accepted for SGA ranking. Players who are not tracked by WAGR and playing in the same counting event will be given points using the same method. In this instance, SGA will use WAGR data for the Ranking Scratch Score (RSS).
6. The Order of Merit will be computed according to the total number of points that have been accumulated in a calendar year over a rolling twelve month period. The list will be updated at the beginning of each month. All tournaments up to the end of the preceding month will be captured. Tournaments that begin in a month and end outside that month will be captured in the following month.
7. A Current Ranking Order will be used to track a player’s current form over a rolling three month period.
8. Stroke average will also be tracked and will be considered if points obtained by players are similar.
Players below 18 years old
9. Players below 18 years old (regardless of whether they are National Squad or Development Squad members) will also be tracked using a Under 18 Years Old List.
10. SGA will use the Under 18 Years Old Current List to select players for junior tournaments.
Revision Date for SGA Order of Merit
11. The list will be updated at the beginning of each month. All tournaments up to the end of the preceding month will be captured. Tournaments that begin in a month and end outside that month will be captured in the following month.
National Ranking Games (NRG)
12. SGA conducts National Ranking Games as part of the SGA Order of Merit counting events for members of its National and Development Squads. The NRGs also provide selected players an opportunity to demonstrate their ability and potential. Participants of NRGs will be tracked in the SGA Order of Merit.
13. There are five NRGs that are counting events in FY 2016. Players who are either not in the National and Development Squads or are not currently selected to play may apply to participate in the NRGs. They must meet the following pre-requisites and the NRG application form must be submitted through their Club Captain to the SGA Training and Selection Sub-Committee:
a. Must be Singapore citizens;
b. Must have a USGA Handicap Index of < 6.0 (boys) and < 10.0 (girls) for junior golfers between the ages of 12 and 17 years old;
c. Must have a USGA Handicap Index of < 1.0 for men and women golfers.
Note: The Handicap Index scoring records must not have any penalty scores.
14. If successful, players will normally be given provisional approval by the SGA Trg & Sel Sub-Committee to participate in the NRGs. They will also be given KPIs that must be met before they can continue participating in the NRGs.
Use of SGA Order of Merit for Selection for Events in FY 2016
15. The 2016 SGA Order of Merit will be used for the following selection:
a. Selection for Tournaments – It will be used to select NS and DS members for tournaments in FY 2016. The latest updated SGA Order of Merit (Current Ranking Order), at the point when such selections have to be submitted, will be used.
b. Selection for FY 2017 National/Development Squads – The SGA Order of Merit 2016 will be used to select players for the FY 2017 National and Development Squads. It will be based on the total points accumulated for the year (Apr 16 – Dec 16). The selection will be done in Jan 17.
c. Selection for the Singapore Open – The top player of the SGA Order of Merit will be invited to play in the 2017 Singapore Open. The selection will be made one month before the event date.
d. SGA President’s Trophy – The SGA President’s Trophy will be awarded to the top player of the SGA Order of Merit for the year FY 2016 (Apr 16 – Mar 17).
1 Apr 2016
Copyright © Singapore Golf Association 2017